Covid-19 disrupted our lives, affecting all our futures. Online teaching-and-learning replaced conventional face-to-face contact, with teachers and students being forced to adapt. Many students persevered and achieved success. You are amongst those who worked hard and can confidently enter the next phase of your life. I commend you on your achievements.
You might believe that you have reached the mountain top in your career, however, you have only arrived at base-camp. The journey ahead will be tough, but also very satisfying. I welcome you to the Faculty of Education and to the teaching profession. You have chosen a noble calling - remember, the ultimate goal is to improve the lives of every child in South Africa. This is one of the most satisfying occupations, if you are prepared to go beyond the call of duty.
Wishing you all the best and thank you for entrusting NWU FEDU with your future.
Prof Lloyd Conley
Executive Dean: Faculty of Education (FEDU)
Make use of the videos and material provided on this page to help you start your journey at NWU (there will be no live sessions).
Apart from curriculum control and registrations, these dates are also important.
- 08/03/2021 - 9/4/2021: Registration period (including curriculum control)
- 13/03/2021: Official welcoming of first-year students (online). Details will be communicated via the NWU App.
- 17/03/2021: Online teaching for first-year students start (keep informed with the latest official COVID-19 communiques)
- 15/03/2021 - 9/4/2021: Amendment period
- Make use of Adds&Drops DIY app for module / qualification changes for first-years
- Please consult the DIY Adds & Drops how-to guide for students
- See student request forms and electronic procedure
Curriculum control and registration
The registration period for online registrations is 8 March to 9 April 2021. The below presentations represent our different qualification programmes, and will give you guidance for choosing your subjects and getting registered:
- Foundation phase
- Intermediate phase
- BEd.Senior and FET-phase registration:
Orientation of first-year students
We would also like to invite you to work through the below videos at your own convenience to help you find your feet at our faculty, and to gain some insight about this new journey that you have embarked on.
YouTube videos are not zero-rated and data charges will therefore apply:
- Introduction to fhe Faculty of Education
- My journey of becoming a teacher
- Ice-breaker and self-directed learning
- Work integrated learning teaching practice
- Academic advising
- Coping with stress
- Work integrated learning self care
- The art of becoming a reflective practitioner
- Academic reading and writing skills
- Social justice and diversity
- Meeting the Challenges of the Education profession
- Faculty of Education’s Language Plan and Multilingualism
- Basic financial principles for first year students
- Grievance procedure in the Faculty of Education
- Work Integrated Learning: Excursions
- Reflection, evaluation and closure
Contact details for assistance
Office hours are 07:30 - 16:30 on weekdays.
Boitumelo Gopane - 018 3892668
Suzette Enslin - 016 910 3060