The Education and Leadership Research Unit (Edu-Lead) was established in 2017 in the Faculty of Education of the NWU. The central scholarly focus of the entity is on leadership at all levels of the education system, with a variety of sub-foci as portrayed by the five project groups:
- Turnaround strategies at poor-performing secondary schools: Lessons from success cases in historically disadvantaged areas;
- Promotion of healthy schools in South African schools;
- The influence of principal leadership styles, school management structures, moral leadership and contextual determinants on a positive school climate;
- Leadership accountability of principals towards improved quality education (results) in secondary schools;
- Understanding leadership for and during school change and development in challenging formerly deprived South African context
The vision of the entity is to establish a niche for research about the role and position of leadership in education with a focus on organisational development and to contribute to the understanding and practice of school development. This strategic aim is to contribute to the academic improvement of schools as well as the development of schools as centres of the communities contributing to positive citizenship in the broader South African context.