SPECIFIC AIMS OF THE CHAIR
- Collaboratively develop a map of the landscape of Open Educational Resources (OER) and Multimodal Learning initiatives in South Africa, and indicate how this corresponds to international initiatives;
- Promote a national OER Network in collaboration with local organisations and universities with clear links to the international OER community;
- Develop and support a network of Multimodal Learning researchers for the Southern African Development Community (SADC) region;
- Train lecturers on OER and Multimodal Learning in the SADC countries who will become empowered and capable of instructing others online;
- Produce and disseminate research on OER and Multimodal Learning; and
- Provide consultancy and advisory services.
IDENTIFIED RESEARCH THEMES OF THE CHAIR
- Quality and cultural appropriateness of the application of self-directed multimodal learning – while building on existing expertise at the NWU on indigenous knowledge systems.
- The effective use of mobile devices (such as cell phones and tablets) for self-directed multimodal learning.
- Data mining of learning management systems as well as interactive study guides and relevant metadata.
- Multiliteracies (in terms of language, visual, information and computer literacies) of contact and distance students in a self-directed learning context.
- Individualisation, differentiation and adaptive learning by means of online resources.
- The use, establishment and contribution to open educational resources by lecturers within a self-directed learning context.
- Multimodal multiliteracies in support of self-directed learning (2018-2020). Funded by the National Research Foundation.
- Trilingual glossary for multimodal learning: English-Setswana-Afrikaans (2018-2019). Funded by the PUK-Kanselierstrust.
- Exploring situated and culturally-appropriate self-directed multimodal learning (2019).
- Mapping of multimodal self-directed learning and OER at higher educational institutions in Southern Africa (2019-2021).